WHAT IS BRAND LICENSING?
Wikipedia defines brand licensing as the process of creating and managing contracts between the owner of a brand and a company/individual who wants to use the brand in association with a product, for an agreed period of time, within an agreed territory. Licensing is used by brand owners to extend a trademark or character onto products of a completely different nature.
ADVANTAGES OF LICENSING
• Expand your product portfolio
• Relatively risk free and cost effective
• Drive new revenue streams through licensing opportunities
• Increase your brand’s global awareness
• Inspire customer loyalty and build brand equity
• Fuel valuable promotional and retail partnerships
• Make your brand more modern lifestyle oriented
INTERNATIONAL LICENSING MERCHANDISE ASSOCIATION (LIMA)
INTERNATIONAL TRADEMARK ASSOCIATION (INTA)
U.S. PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE (USPTO)